Acts 4:32-5:11. "The whole group of those who believed were of one heart and soul, and no one claimed private ownership of any possessions, but everything they owned was held in common."
This verse, and others in the Book of Acts, discloses that the early Christians were socialists. Socialism apparently worked well among the early Christians, That’s because they were "of one heart and soul" and respected each other. After thinking about this I looked up Christian Socialist on the web and found there are Christian socialist parties in a lot of countries.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The International League of Religious Socialists is an umbrella organization of religious socialist movements in political parties throughout the world. Founded in the 1920s, it has member groups in 21 countries totalling 200,000 members. For most of its history it was mainly European and contained mainly Christian Socialist groups, but has recently expanded to the Americas, Africa and Australia and to include more groups with connections to other religions. It is an associate organisation of the Socialist International.
"The member organizations are:
- · Ernest Burgmann Society (Australia)
- · ACUS: Arbeitsgemeinschaft Christentum und Sozialismus (Austria)
- · The Christian Socialist Movement (Britain)
- · Bulgarian Religious Social Democrats (Bulgaria)
- · Cristianos por la Liberacion (Costa Rica)
- · Frente Nacional de Cultos (Dominican Republic)
- · Kristillisten Sosialidemokraattinen Liitto (Finland)
- · Bund der Religiösen Sozialistinnen und Sozialisten Deutschlands (Germany)
- · Religious Socialist Section of the MSZP (Hungary)
- · Cristiano Sociali (Italy)
- · Latvian Christian Social Democratic Organisation (Latvia)
- · Religious Social Democrats (Lithuania)
- · Trefpunt van Socialisme en Levensovertuiging (Netherlands)
- · Kristne Arbeidere (Norway)
- · Contak (Philippines)
- · ANC Religion and Socialism Commission (South Africa)
- · Norabideak/Cristianos en el PSOE (Spain – Basque Country)
- · Satyodaya (Sri Lanka)
- · Broderskapsrörelsen (Sweden)
- · Religiös-Sozialistische Vereinigung der Deutschschweiz (Switzerland)
- · DSA Religion & Socialism Commission (United States)"
It is the last one that peaked my interest. Democratic Socialists of America (DSA) is a social democratic organization in the United States and the principal U.S. affiliate of the Socialist International, a federation of socialist, social democratic, democratic socialist and labour parties and organizations.
Now why is it that the U.S. has a Christian Socialist party while we, in more left leaning and main stream Christian Canada, don’t? The currant NDP which punishes MPs for voting according to their Christian conscience certainly doesn’t qualify. The NDP have moved too far away from their CCF roots and what they were under Tommy Douglas. In my humble opinion Canadian socialists need to return to the days of Tommy Douglas. We need a Canadian Christian Socialist Party (CCSP).